All 25 art Reviews

Valentina Valentina

Few minor points, but very realistic.

Proportion is a bit off (between eyes - face is too thin, back line, right shoulder, or lack of), although its tricky drawing from photos because they create an illusion of proportions that real life doesn't. Assuming you're using a photo. Also I'm really unsure as to what's going on with her chest?

I am, of course, being highly critical here, that's just how I review and I wouldn't review you if you weren't very good anyways. Hair is very difficult, looking rather limp here but it looks like that's just the model, the attention to detail there is great. You definitely have awesome shading skill with pencil, I do love the contrasts within the shading that give it a very definitive 3D effect, especially where you've gone really dark. Go even darker and bolder with your shading! I also think you could transfer those skills into watercolour really well.

rickygonza responds:

thanks for reviewing Bryony. Drawing real stuff is some what difficult but what she is holding against her chest is a robe or cloth like thing. it was white in the picture which didnt really show any shading that i could do.i havent really tried water colors out to do portraits but thanks for the advice im Glad you like it and gave it an 8 =].

Beast of the Void Beast of the Void

I'm intrigued

What medium is this? It looks like it could be quite a simple computer piece, i'd like to see something like this in oils or watercolour as some of the angles don't really work. Nevertheless it's a well executed, visually stimulating image with lovely colour tones and shadows.

Lake Lake

I don't usually like stuff like this.

But this has a simplicity that I find very calming.

HolyPeanuts responds:

Thanks man!

Tron Legacy: Quorra Tron Legacy: Quorra

All in all I like this very much

I know how very frustrating it is to try and perfect something but ending up with, although a probable better piece of art, something that deviates from how it started or was intended. There are a couple of minor things I would tweak, the lips are a bit overworked and the left hand side is generally a bit underworked.

Morgadeshou responds:

Hahaha I got rather lazy after a while but I appreciate the criticism!

They Seem to Forget You They Seem to Forget You

Very nice.

Liking the mix of stylization and realism here, I don't know which was more intentional but generally speaking your technique works. I would suggest being bolder with the shading and really studying the face to get those subtleties that make a face individual. Furthermore, I know hair is a real pain but spend extra time on it and you'll see results.

Morgadeshou responds:

Thanks so much for your response. :) I agree with you in that I should put in more effort into studying the face and its details but the main problem was that the photo I had was of such poor fuzzy quality that the stylisation actually had took over the realism thus the poor shading for the hair. Honestly, it looked like a black mass on top of his head and it was difficult to work with it.

Mink Boat Mink Boat

Fantastic use of colour

And everyone underestimates the power of a sharpie! You're very skilled, would have been nice to see more l/d colour variety so you can really bring out the design.

conundrummer responds:

Thanks I appreciate it. Actually, the limited color range was partially intentional and partially as a result of my lacking any other colors.

Sphynx Sphynx

These cats freak me out!

They look unreal when they move, almost sci-fi - which i totally see in this picture. Great l/d shadow contrast too, gives it lovely realistic texture.

kabaw o baka? kabaw o baka?

Talented

Lovely brush strokes, very smooth, accurate and varied at the same time. Not the subject matter I'm usually drawn to but you definitely have a great deal of skill to do this with oil.

Hexagram 26 - Potential Energy Hexagram 26 - Potential Energy

It makes me think of purgatory

Almost looks as if the clouds are closing in on this solitary performer. I really like the blending between the sky and ground and the clouds are very well done. Could do with a bit more refinement or more colour.

RPGsrok responds:

I tend to think of him as meditating. Glad the blending of the clouds turned out well to you. Personally I like the monochromatic scheme I'd come up with, and I'm not too sure what you mean by refinement (feel free to pm me if you care to elaborate). Glad you liked it!

Surreality Surreality

Cool

Really, really nice colours here - although I'm not sure if that's a road or a river so it could use more definition. Lovely strokes as well, what did you use?

Stellarbird responds:

Thanks!~

It's a road, and yeah I just noticed i left out any median lines or cracks to distinguish it, so I might go back and change that.

I used Corel Painter 11 with a Wacom tablet.

-Stellar